Tuesday, May 4, 2010

'Animal Farm' by George Orwell

I read Animal Farm a good few years back. It came in a boxset of Penguin classics that my folks gave me and was the slimmest book in there. I'll get around to reading One Hundred Years of Solitude and On The Road one of these days, probably.


It also happened to be one of the options for prescribed fiction for the English Leaving Cert course, which I was doing at the time, but our teacher preferred for us to read Lord of the Flies. Turned out Orwell's little piece of satire was far more useful for the purposes of my history exam, as it helped me to grasp the intricacies of Stalin's Seven Year Plan and the full betrayal of the Marxist dream in a way that a bare history book never could. And that, I suppose, is chief among the reasons why we'll always need good fiction.

2 comments:

Annie said...

I know I'm going to sound like a horrible philistine but I hated Animal Farm. I could just never get over that it was about talking pigs. I know, I know, it was really about communism. But it was also about talking pigs.

Andrew said...

Rosie says much the same thing. It never bothered me for some reason. I was gonna say that it was because the pigs only talk to other animals, like pigs presumably do in real life. But, come to think of it, they talk to humans too. Which just makes the whole thing inexcusable. Orwell: what a cock.

Post a Comment